The City of Garnett is an equal opportunity employer with benefits for full-time employees that include vacation leave, sick leave, paid holidays, health and life insurance, KPERS retirement (KP&F for Law Enforcement positions), training and more.
Please note: Positions currently available require residency inside Anderson County, Kansas, or as stipulated in the job description.
Under the supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor and the Executive Director of the Housing Authority. This employee will perform a wide range of tasks including but not limited to: cleaning of buildings in all common areas, maintaining equipment, mowing, snow and ice removal, trash removal from buildings, replacing light bulbs as well as minor electrical, air conditioning and appliance repairs.
Examples of Work
Must have a wide range of general mechanical knowledge regarding heating, HVAC, plumbing and electrical. Would prefer some working experience in maintenance/janitorial work, or extensive hours and knowledge of DIY experience.
High school diploma preferred.
Knowledge and understanding of cleaning and caring for buildings and structures. As well as some mechanical knowledge. Must be a self-starter.
Must be able to walk for extended periods of time, be able to lift up to 30 lbs of weight. Must also be able to withstand being out in the extreme weather for extended periods of time as well as be able to work around chemicals with various odors.
Salary and Hours
The pay scale for this position is $12.50 – 20.50 per hour with excellent benefits; pay is based off qualifications. This position is normally an 8-hour day shift, forty-hour workweek with occasional emergency call-outs as needed.
Click here for complete job description.
Human Resources Department
Garnett City Hall
P.O. Box H
131 West Fifth Avenue
Garnett, KS 66032
785.448.5496 Ext: 227
Travis Wilson, City Clerk
The City of Garnett is looking for the right candidates to fill positions on the Volunteer Fire Department.
Provide protection of life and property from and during fires and emergencies as may occur in the City of Garnett and Anderson County Kansas. Works under supervision of the Fire Chief, Captains and Lieutenants.
Examples of Work
• Provide response to all-hazard emergencies including structure fires, vegetation fires, medical emergencies, motor vehicle accidents, hazardous materials, water rescue and recovery, technical rescue and natural and man-made disasters.
• Laying, dragging and connecting hose lines. Holding nozzles and directing fire streams.
• Driving/riding on fire apparatus in emergent conditions.
• Operating fire apparatus/pump and aerial ladder.
• Filling water tanks.
• Operating fire hydrant.
• Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and PPE
• Raising and climbing ladders.
• Performing forcible entry.
• Salvage and overhaul, venting heat and smoke, extricate victims from burning buildings.
• Working from ladders on roofs of structures operating chainsaw, hose nozzle.
• Perform search and rescue techniques.
• Respond to motor vehicle accidents. Extricate patients, unhook batteries, check for hazards.
• Respond to hazardous material spills. Isolate spill, evacuating potential victims.
• Recognize materials involved in spill.
• Decontaminate victims and responders.
• Assist EMS. CPR/AED, lifting patient.
• Respond to traumatic injuries/rescues
• Directing hose stream from moving vehicle on vegetation fires.
• Attend meetings/training
• Perform fire prevention activities.
• Attend public events
• Perform stand by for events in the City of Garnett
• Perform general maintenance on facility and equipment.
• Filling out narrative reports after incident.
• Assist in water rescues
• Upkeep of equipment/PPE.
• Provide mutual aid to surrounding communities when needed.