Simply...Garnett, Kansas

​Simply...Garnett, Kansas

Simply...Garnett, Kansas

While funding is available, the City of Garnett will reimburse up to $2 per square foot for sidewalk replacement for both residential (4' wide) and commercial (12' wide).  Please review the Sidewalk Assistance Application and contact the Zoning Administrator for more information.

Zoning Regulations and Building Codes

Permit Applications:


Please Note:  Application procedure may require the additional Zoning Application to accompany either Commercial or Residential Applications.

Question: What is my property zoned as?

Answer: View this zoning map of Garnett.

Question:  What codes are used by the City of Garnett?

2017 National Electrical Code

2018 Existing Building Code

2018 International Building and Fire Codes
2018 International Residential Code
2018 Mechanical and Plumbing Codes
2018 Property Maintenance Code

2018 Private Sewage Disposal Code
2018 Swimming Pool & Spa

Question:  What permits are required?

Building  or Remodeling




Home Additions




State Requirements for Roofing Contractors


Question:  Can the City tell me where my boundary lines (a/k/a property lines) are located?
Answer:  No.  The City has the approximate size information of your property but knowing the exact boundary line location can only be done by a licensed surveyor.

Question:  Do plans for a new commercial building or addition require an architect?
Answer:  Yes.  Plans for all new commercial buildings and additions to existing commercial buildings are required to have stamped plans by a Kansas licensed architect or engineer.

Question:  What is the frost depth?
Answer:  30 inches below finished grade.

Question:  What information is required when applying for a permit to construct a single family residence?
Answer:  Site plan with the completed Residential Application and Zoning-Building Application.

Question:  At what point do I call for inspection?
Answer:  During construction or remodel call for all required inspections at least 3 hours before inspection is needed.  Call for a final inspection before occupancy.  See Inspection Schedule.

Question:  What are the regulations concerning moving a manufactured home into Garnett or from one location to another within the Garnett city limits?
Answer:  A manufactured home must have been constructed on or after July 13, 1994. All manufactured homes must be inspected by city staff before being moved into Garnett or before being moved from one location to another within Garnett city limits.

Question:  Are permits required for swimming pools?
Answer:  Yes. Any pool two feet or greater in depth shall not be installed without first applying for and obtaining a POOL FENCE (Fence) permit.  The pool shall be walled or fenced so as to prevent uncontrolled access by children.

Question:  Are permits required for concrete work?
Answer:  Yes.  Sidewalk and flat concrete work must be inspected before being poured.

To...promote the health, safety, morals, comfort and general welfare of the City.
To...preserve and protect property values throughout the City.
To...restrict and regulate the height, number of stories, and size of buildings; the percentage of lot coverage; the size of yards, courts, and other open space; and the density of population.
To...regulate and restrict the location and use of building and land within each district.

Most Frequently Asked Questions

Question:  Can property owners do work on their own property?  
Answer:  Yes.  Property owners may perform any type of work on residential structures they own and will personally occupy.  They will need to get a permit, if required, and have the work inspected.  On any maintenance that requires a permit, a landlord must be licensed or have a licensed contractor do the work.  If it is maintenance work that does not require a permit the landlord may do it.

Question:  What work requires a permit?
Answer:  Work outside of routine maintenance or minor repair requires a permit.  If you have any questions, contact the Inspection Department at Garnett City Hall, 785.448.5496, or Email.

Question:  What are the setback requirements for building or structure or fence on my property?
Answer:  Contact the Zoning Department at 785.448.5496, or Email.

Eric Mills  is the Building Official and Zoning Administrator.  His office is located at Garnett City Hall, 131 West 5th Avenue, Garnett, KS, 66032.  Telephone: 785.448.5840.

Forms & Information


K.S.A. 50-6, 135: When applying for any permit required by the state or any of its political subdivisions for roofing services or jobs, a roofing contractor shall supply the permit-issuing official the roofing contractor's registration certificate number issued pursuant to this act. That official shall enter a roofing contractor's registration certificate number on the permit. More information  Letter from KS AG

* A roofing permit will be required by the City of Garnett as of 2018.

Sidewalk  Grant Program