The design submitted by Emma Self was selected as the winning entry in the Garnett City Flag Design Challenge. Emma's description of the meaning and symbolism contained in her flag design is as follows:
"My design is about how here in Garnett, we farm a lot and how the sun rises and sets in the field; how much beauty it has. We will remember how beautiful our town is."
The hand drawn design was recreated for the final version of the flag to be made (right).
The City of Garnett is sponsoring a City Flag Design Challenge (contest) to create a City flag that will serve as a symbol of the past, present, and future of our hometown/community. The public is invited to submit a design for the first official City of Garnett flag.
1. Designs should be in color, simple, clean, and clear. All entries should be designed on a rectangle that
can be enlarged to fit a standard 3’ x 5’ ratio.
2. Please adhere to the following:
a) Designs cannot plagiarize or in otherwise not be an original work of the artist/designer
b) Try to use 2-3 basic colors
c) Avoid a lot of lettering or seals of any kind
d) Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections
e) Entries will be rejected if they are not positive in spirit
3. Each design submitted should be accompanied by an official application including a written description of the meaning and/or symbolism contained in the design.
4. Designs can be submitted in one of three ways:
a) By mail, send the signed application with design in digital format on a disc or flash drive accompanied by an 8.5 x 11 inch color printed version paper copy to: City Flag Challenge, Attn: Garnett Community Development Department, Garnett City Hall, P.O. Box H, 131 W. 5th Avenue, Garnett, KS 66032;
b) In person, drop off your signed application with design in digital format on a disc or flash drive accompanied by an 8.5 x 11 inch color printed version paper copy to Garnett City Hall, 131 W. 5th Avenue; or,
c) By email, send the signed application in Word or .pdf with design in digital format (pdf, png, jpg) no larger than 8MB to email@example.com with subject line "City Flag Challenge".
4. All entries for the City Flag Design Contest must be received by 5:00 p.m. on October 19, 2018.
5. All submitted entries shall become the property of the City of Garnett, and may be modified, reproduced, and published at the City’s sole discretion.
6. A selection committee will review all entries and choose finalists to submit to the Garnett City Commission for consideration. The winning design will be selected and announced on or by October 31, 2018. The winner will be recognized at a City Commission meeting with a Certificate of Recognition and a framed copy of the winning design signed by the Garnett City Commission.
Deadline extended to OCTOBER 19, 2018.
Thank you to Eddie Gruver (Chairman), Kelly Heine, Cindy Moyer, Will Mechnig and Susan Wettstein for providing input on this project.